X

• تصفية - فلترة
  • الوقت
  • عرض
إلغاء تحديد الكل
مشاركات جديدة

• Follow me

By Sarah
    When I was a small child, I sometimes walked down the street to the bus stop with my father. He took big steps and walked very quickly. I had to almost run to try and keep up with him. I often ended up falling behind, watching him in front of me and seeing the gap widening between us. He couldn't see me falling behind, and we would only meet up at the bus stop.
    I was not equal to him. He was bigger, stronger and more confident than me. I couldn't cry out 'Please, walk slower' or 'Wait for me'. He was my father and I couldn't question him, make a request, or even ask for help. I could only obey.

Sometimes we think that God is like this. He is far above us and we are far below. But Jesus Christ said, "Follow me".
    As Jesus walked beside the Sea of Galilee, he saw Simon and his brother Andrew casting a net into the lake, for they were fishermen. "Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men." At once they left their nets and followed him.(Gospel of Mark, chapter 1, verses 16,17,

The disciples of Jesus left everything to follow him. But what does it mean to follow Jesus Christ? Jesus is perfect and without sin. How can we walk with him?

From my experience, I don't think that Jesus walks quickly in front of us like my father did. I have noticed that Jesus walks with me, at my pace.

Making the decision to follow Jesus Christ and live like him is like receiving a new pair of eyes. Many things seem so different, yet so unclear. The old life is full of conflicts and the new life is full of ignorance. It's like being turned upside-down and gaining a new perspective. I feel like I have walked out of a dark place into brilliant sunshine. The light dazzles my eyes and it's difficult to focus. Everything has shadows, even though I am in the light.

I didn't have any idea how to follow Jesus Christ. I wish someone had given me an instruction book or some guidance. But no-one talked about their walk with God, so I assumed that everyone else must be an expert at it, and I didn't have the courage to ask any questions otherwise I would look stupid. I thought that maybe to be a proper Christian you had to know all the answers already. I didn't see Christian people in my daily life, so I remained in my ignorance. Nobody talked about Jesus either, so I didn't know that he was really important.

Yet from the first day that I began this new life I had a presence deep inside of me. It was like a feeling of peace and security that couldn't be moved or touched by situations around me. Later I discovered that this presence was called the Holy Spirit of God. I wish someone had told me.
    The Holy Bible says that God is always with us. This is true.
    God is our refuge and strength,
    an ever-present help in times of trouble.
    (Book of Psalms, number 46, verse 1)

Yet I didn't make any progress in this new life. I had followed all of the rituals that are required to be called a Christian and I even had a certificate to prove it, so what was missing? There had to be more than trying to be good, going to church, and saying my prayers. I felt sure that there was more and that my search must continue.

In this search, I finally met a Christian who shared her experience with me and then I shared mine too. Once I started sharing my faith (my belief in God) I felt stronger and it began to make more sense. I discovered that we need to listen to God.
    He wakens me morning by morning,
    Wakens my ear to listen like one being taught.
    (Book of Isaiah, chapter 50, verse 4)

I also discovered that God hears our prayers, listens and responds to them.
    I love the LORD for he heard my voice;
    He heard my cry for mercy.
    Because he turned his ear to me,
    I will call on him as long as I live.
    (Book of Psalms, number 116, verses 1 & 2)

…We do not make requests of you because we are righteous,
    But because of your great mercy.
    O LORD, listen!
    O LORD, forgive!
    O LORD, hear and act!…
    (Book of Daniel, chapter 9, verses 18 (second part) & 19 (first part)

One day I fasted and prayed earnestly and tried with all my strength to listen to God and to understand what he wanted from me. I poured out my heart to him and asked 'What do I need to do?' 'What act or work must I perform?' I thought it was my duty to do some special work for God, but I was afraid of getting it wrong. The word 'intercessor' came into my mind. Then the words 'I am the bread of life; eat and be satisfied' came, but I still didn't understand.
    The answer came from the Gospel of John, chapter 6.
    The people were asking Jesus the same question as me.
    Then they asked him, "What must we do to do the works God requires?" (verse 28)

The answer from Jesus cut through my confusion and entered my heart.
    Jesus Christ answered, "The work of God is this: to believe in the one he has sent." (verse 29)

So the answer I had been searching for all this time was to simply believe in Jesus Christ. No works, no struggle, no confusion - just believe.

But who was Jesus?

The answer for me was also in the Gospel of John, chapter 6.
    "For the bread of God is he who comes down from heaven and gives life to the world."…(verse 33)
    Then Jesus declared "I am the bread of life. He who comes to me will never go hungry, and he who believes in me will never be thirsty." (verse 35)

Then I realised for the first time that Jesus came from heaven.
    And that you can only know the Father through his son Jesus Christ. I now knew who Jesus was. Jesus Christ was the one I had to follow. You could say that I met Jesus for the first time that night. I realised later that I had experienced his presence in my life before this night, and had been with him, but I didn't recognise who he was.

My life changed forever with this knowledge. I began my walk with Jesus. I discovered that I already had the 'instruction book' - The Holy Bible. And prayer opened the way to a relationship with God. Gradually, my life continued to change. I didn't decide what to change or how to change. This came through the guidance of the Holy Spirit of God, and speaking with God, and listening to him through his word. Changing isn't easy though.

So for me, following Jesus Christ didn't improve my financial or social position, nor did it lead to having more possessions or a better job. I found that it was about walking in the direction where God leads you to and learning to be content with that place, that situation, without relying on anything else - only on him.

You might have to lose everything to find God. I lost everything that was of value to me personally. At some points I even thought I was losing my mind. But I discovered that each thing that I lost removed another layer between me and God. Finally, with nothing left to give up or lose and yet feeling that God wanted me to surrender something else to him, I cried out, "LORD, what more do you want from me?" He answered, "My child, I want you. Not your skills, your abilities, your usefulness. You. Your heart, your life."
    "Fear not, for I have redeemed you;
    I have summoned you by name;
    You are mine."
    Book of Isaiah, Chapter 43, verse 1 (second part]

Now as an adult, when I walk to the bus stop with my father, we walk together and talk along the way. A relationship has developed between us. Don't let the devil deceive you…you can know God personally. God has known me all my life, but I have known him only for a short time. Relationships take time to develop and grow. I think my progress is slow, but God has promised to stay with me for the rest of my life. He knows me and understands me. He walks with me at whatever pace I can manage, and carries me when I can't manage.

Even to your old age and grey hairs
    I am he, I am he who will sustain you.
    I have made you and I will carry you;
    I will sustain you and I will rescue you.

I am God and there is no other;
    I am God, and there is none like me.
    (Book of Isaiah, Chapter 47, verse 4 & 9 (second part)

So, what about you? Are you going to follow Jesus Christ or are you happy in
    following your own plan for your life? Don't be like me and take years and years to make the decision to follow Jesus Christ. I suffered so much because I didn't make this decision earlier in my life. Almost to the point of death. Make the decision soon. It's not difficult to do. I used to believe in fate and thought that I couldn't change anything about my life. I thought my course was set and that I shouldn't try to make decisions. I was wrong. I needed to make one very important decision - to follow Jesus Christ.

O taste and see that the Lord is good,
    How blessed is the man who hides himself in Him.
    I sought the Lord and he answered me
    And set me free from all my fears.
    I will give thanks to Him, for He is good,
    His steadfast love to me will never end.
    I will give thanks to Him, for He is good,
    His steadfast love to me will never end.
    A song by Phil Rogers

من قاموا بقراءة الموضوع

تقليص

الأعضاء اللذين قرأوا هذا الموضوع: 0

معلومات المنتدى

تقليص

من يتصفحون هذا الموضوع

يوجد حاليا 1 شخص يتصفح هذا الموضوع. (0 عضو و 1 زائر)

يعمل...
      X